July 18, 2008

“I am the bread of life.”
– Jesus in John 6:35

I recently returned from another week of training at the PI base in Florida. Turns out, there were so many missionaries and missionary kids that there wasn’t enough room to house all of us in the main area. So I ended up in the overflow camp grounds – housed in a log cabin, right on Lake Wippoorwil, complete with a dock, an occasional alligator sighting, a front porch and a porch swing. Oh, and the most important feature? Ducks.

Would you believe that God used three ducks to speak to me?

three ducks

“A missionary is simply a beggar showing other beggars where to find bread.” – Bosch

Three ducks would approach our porch daily, quacking and looking at me expectantly. They stood there on orange, webbed feet, waiting patiently. I knew what they wanted and they knew what they wanted, but every day I told them the same thing: “I have no bread, little guys. I have no bread.”

That’s a sad thing to tell a duck who thinks you should have bread. I began to feel bad. Guilty, almost.

Because the reality was, I did have bread – or access to bread – I was just choosing not to access it.

“Ducks,” I was essentially telling them, “You’re not worth it.” Translation: I don’t want to rearrange my life to get you some bread. (That porch swing was mighty comfortable.)

But the darn ducks continued to beg. One duck was more patient than the others. She would wait long after the other two had left. On my last day there, at dusk, she was getting sleepy, and closing her eyes.

Church, I wonder if it’s not dusk for us and the hour of Jesus’ approach near?
Church, are we living our lives for God’s global plan of redeeming the world?
Church, are we accessing the Bread and showing others where to find it?

It’s not about maintaining the status quo. It’s about getting to those with no access and helping them to Life itself.

I do see them standing there, waiting.

I can’t keep swinging on the front porch. I’ve got to get up off my butt and go.

bringing bread

“Do not work
for food that spoils,

but for food
that endures
to eternal life,

which the Son
of man will give you.”

John 6:27

So God used those three ducks to speak to me about moving further out of my comfort zone and into places where children have no access to Jesus – the Bread of Life.

Within the next 3 – 6 months, I will be phasing out of my current work with New Life Homes in Kenya and transitioning into a new position with PI-East Africa (PI-EA). Pioneers has a heart for pioneering – bringing the Gospel where it has not been before. PI-EA desires to develop and partner with ministries to orphans and vulnerable children in a wider region, to reach the children who are currently not being reached. I feel called and excited to be a part of this.

I have loved the ministry and work of New Life Homes. I continue to believe strongly in its mission and vision, but I feel that it is time for me to take a step of faith into a different role. I feel that the Lord is calling me into a place where my gifts and strengths can be used to “cast a wider net” for children at risk in Africa.

move further

“Our hope is that,
as your faith continues to grow,
our are of activity among you will

Greatly Expand
so that
we can
preach the gospel

in the
Regions Beyond
you.”

2 Corinthians 10:15-16

What I am realizing about PI – about their DNA – is that they are pioneers. (I know, it’s like a big “DUH, Janay.”) They are constantly looking to move into the regions beyond, to greatly expand.

I like this. This is exciting.

One of their taglines is Move Further.

It seems a lot of training is required in order for me to move further  so I am off to Colorado for three weeks in August for this training called SPLICE – it’s a pre-departure program that will prepare me for better integration into new cultures.

perspectives:
where are you headed?


“Christ doesn’t call us
to a prudent life,
but to a God-centered,
Christ-exalting,
justice-advancing,
counter-cultural,
risk-taking life
of love and courage.”

- John Piper, Author & Pastor

No comments: