March 21, 2008

path to peace
Kenya seems to be “formally” on a path to peace as government parties are signing “power sharing agreements”, but I don’t hold my breath anymore. Our friends in the Nairobi office say that the country seems to be settling down. It’s safer now to travel around the country and things are going back to normal “slowly by slowly” as they say in Kenya.

Nakuru Children’s Home
As well as being engaged in distribution of relief funds to the projects (please see attachment), New Life Homes has been engaged in rescuing and assisting through its children’s homes. Twin 14 month-old boys, malnourished and sick were admitted into our Nakuru home while the mother received care at a psychiatric hospital.

Kisumu Children’s Home
Our Kisumu home has taken into its care a pre-mature baby whose mother had died and the grieving father was unable to give the necessary care. A nurse at our Kisumu home had her home destroyed and had to flee the area that had been her family home. Now her family is re-settling in Nairobi and she has joined our Nairobi Home team.

my plans
I really should stop using that pronoun "my" - as nothing seems to be within "my" control in this life of ministry. I am still “up in the air” as far as my future return to Africa goes. Don’t know when, don’t know where, don’t know how… many questions still left to be answered and plans to be sorted out. I am in the process of looking for a partnership sending agency to work alongside me in my work for New Life Homes/Barnabas Ministries Africa. I am traveling to Florida in the beginning of April for a 1 week candidate orientation program with Pioneers (www.pioneers.org), a potential sending agency and partner. We’ll see how that goes…

So I am “parked” stateside for now, working on behalf of Africa from here. You can still find me in the offices of Christian Church of Thousand Oaks if you want to find me. 

With Love for Africa,
janay
-----
kibera

kenya coddled
&created
&boasted
of africa’s
second largest
slum. kibera.

those in power
stealing voices
and choices
and hope

the monster kibera
her tongue
caught in her throat
for so long
now screaming &writhing
&thrashing like
a great monster
emerging from the deep
and suddenly we see –

we see the surface
has become the deep.

a people formed for passion
move in rage
because rage gives voice
to the deep, the things
of the heart submerged
for too long.

the soul of Kenya
no more tribal
than the soul of the so-called civilized.

for man is made to reveal the passion
and the shekinah glory of a God who
loves justice
and righteousness –

a God who is, ultimately, good.

and deprived of these truths?

a man-made world
unbearable.

No comments: